There are many cleaning jobs around the home that get forgotten about or ignored during the hustle and bustle of our busy daily lives. However, now is a good time to tackle those tasks, shift the grime build-up, and have a declutter. It sounds like hard work, but it’s actually very satisfying, and your house and family will thank you for it.
Hiring a skip may help your spring cleaning, as you’ll no doubt uncover lots of clutter you no longer need along the way.
This guide will help you organise this year’s spring clean, and make sure you don’t forget any important jobs.
General house cleaning tasks
- Clean all of your venetian blinds.
- Take down all of your curtains and roman blinds and wash them according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Vacuum all of the floors in the entire house, top to bottom – including all of those hard to reach corners that usually get ignored. Pay special attention to under the beds.
- Shampoo all of the carpets.
- Vacuum and shampoo any rugs you own.
- Mop all of your wooden and hard floors.
- Clean the walls using a damp cloth.
- Clean all of the windows, both inside and out. Outside is often forgotten, or put off.
- Wax any wooden furniture you own.
- Wash your windowsills – it’s amazing how dirty these get.
- Test your smoke detector, and change the batteries if need be.
- Clean all of your door knobs/handles, and light switches.
- Sort through your coat stand/rack/cupboard. Put out-of-season clothing into storage.
- Sort through your shoes and clean your shoe rack.
- Sort through your clothes, including underwear, hosiery, nightwear, hats, scarves and gloves.
- Reseal your grout lines in the kitchen and bathroom, if need be.
- Wash all of your pillows and duvets in hot water.
- Vacuum your mattresses, and turn them.
- Tidy up your electronic wires, and label them if appropriate.
- Sort through your collections of books, magazines, DVDs, music, and games.
- Wipe down your stairway handrail, if your house has one.
- Clean your drains.
- Repot any plants that need repotting.
- Sort through your children’s toys. Wash soft toys in the washing machine, and wash hard plastic toys in some warm, soapy water.
- Clean all television screens, computer monitors, laptop screens, tablet screens, and mobile phone screens. A microfibre cloth and mild soapy water is good for this.
Kitchen cleaning tasks
Alongside some of the above cleaning tasks, your kitchen also has some unique jobs of its own, which we’ve listed below:
- Wash the outside of all your kitchen cabinets. Don’t forget the handles.
- Clean the inside of your fridge – remove each part, wash it in warm, soapy water, dry and replace. Then clean the outside of the fridge.
- Sharpen your kitchen knives.
- Clean inside and outside of the oven.
- Clean and descale your kettle.
- Empty the crumbs out of the toaster.
- Clean and organise your food cupboards, checking expiry dates as you go.
- Clean the dishwasher. Empty the filter, and follow the dishwasher’s manufacturer’s recommendations for cleaning.
- Clean the washing machine, paying special attention to the drawer which can get mouldy. Remove the drawer and check around this space too.
- Clean inside your microwave.
- Clean your kitchen splashback.
- Wipe down your dining table and chairs. Clean the seat pads, if you have them.
Featured image credit: manera